Pharmacies in Newfoundland and Labrador are an accessible healthcare option.
Each day pharmacists use their knowledge and training to ensure patients are kept well. This includes ensuring you get the right medication that is safe for you, checking drug interactions, compounding and providing knowledge of over-the-counter products and nutritional aids. In many cases, pharmacists also provide training on medical devices and use their knowledge to assist patients with ostomy and insulin pump therapy, as well as offer assistance to patients in navigating the healthcare system.
Increasingly, pharmacists provide even more enhanced services like:
- Conduct a thorough medication review
- Prescribe for and administer many vaccinations:
- COVID-19: See list of pharmacies participating in the provincial COVID-19 vaccination program.
- Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis A and B (including the TWINRIX vaccine)
- shingles (Herpes Zoster),
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and
- chickenpox (Varicella Zoster)
- Administer many other injectables like birth control, B 12 and other medications
- Adapt and renew your prescriptions where applicable and within the pharmacist’s scope of practice”
- Assess and prescribe for 33 common conditions – see full list.
- Prescribe for uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI)
- Prescribe hormonal contraception
- Assess, prescribe and dispense Paxlovid (COVID-19 therapeutic)
- Prescribe for medications to help you quit smoking therapies and products
- Discuss your use of acid reflux medications and/or sleeping pills to determine if you should reduce/eliminate your use (SaferMedsNL)
- and more!
Services vary by pharmacy. Some services are publicly funded. Contact your local pharmacy today for details. See a full list of provincial community pharmacies.